Comments : 3 Comments »
Tags: chicken, meals for 2, skillet meal
Categories : chicken, dressing, main dish, rice, vegetables
ATTENTION!!!! This is one of my favorite new recipes to date!!!
First, there’s bacon.
Then there is chicken cooked in bacon grease.
Plus fresh veggies.
Just the Two of Us is one of the best cookbook purchases I’ve ever made. This dish was quick, easy and so delicious, I don’t have words to describe it. WH wants it on the “rotation”. I want it every night. DONE.
Easy Chicken and Garden Veggies
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 chicken breasts (we used 1)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt (I have garlic powder and added some salt)
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 4 oz. fresh green beans, trimmed and left whole
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium plum (Roma) tomato, cut lengthwise in half then sliced
- 1/4 c. Italian dressing (or balsamic vinaigrette)
- Cook bacon in skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring until crisp.
- Remove bacon and keep warm.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with garlic salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in skillet and cook 3 to 5 minutes until browned on both sides.
- Discard excess bacon grease.
- Add water and green beans to skillet.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 8 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper.
- Cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes, turning and stirring occasionally.
- Cook until chicken is done.
- Stir in tomato and dressing until heated through.
- Top with bacon.
- Serve with rice if you like.
Comments : 2 Comments »
Tags: beef cube steaks, Italian Minute Steaks, meals for 2
Categories : beef, grill, main dish, sides, vegetables
A few nights ago I made dinner and juggled 3 different (and new) dishes. It was a proud moment. Exciting too, since I’m getting to cook a lot of things I’ve been saving from other blogs. Dinner included recipes from Just the Two of Us (JT2OU), Loves To Eat and Pioneer Woman.
It was fabulous.
JT2OU offered the main dish for dinner: Italian Minute steaks. I’ve never cooked with beef cube steaks before, but I loved how quick they cooked up. The toppings were very flavorful as well. It’s so easy and was really low-maintenance once you put everything in the skillet so it made my multi-tasking simpler.
Just season the beef cube steaks and cook, turning once.
Top with pasta sauce, green peppers, onions, more pasta sauce, and grated parm.
Cover and simmer.
Italian Minute Steaks
- 2 beef cube steaks (4 oz. each)
- 1/4 tsp. lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 c. tomato pasta sauce
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings
- 1/2 small green pepper, chopped (about 1/4 c.)
- 2 Tbsp. grated parm
- Season beef steaks with lemon-pepper seasoning.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook steaks about 10 minutes, turning once, until brown.
- Pour half the pasta sauce over steaks.
- Layer onion and peppers on top.
- Pour rest of the pasta sauce over vegetables.
- Sprinkle with cheese and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer about 10 minutes.
Comments : 2 Comments »
Tags: asparagus, meals for 2, pasta, pasta primavera
Categories : cheese, chicken, dressing, main dish, pasta, vegetables
I would pay for this dish in a restaurant. It was sooooo delicious. It is light and flavorful and easy. And the portions turned out perfect — no leftovers!
I want to make this every night. Seriously. It’s that good. Just make it and eat it and enjoy it.
Chicken and [Penne] Pasta Primavera
- 1 c. uncooked [penne] pasta (I used corkscrews)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used 1 large breast)
- 1/2 c. sliced zucchini
- 1/2 c. sliced yellow squash
- 1/2 c. 2-inch pieces asparagus
- 1/4 c. Italian dressing
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves (I used a basil “paste” from the store — worked fine)
- 3 Tbsp. shredded parm
- Cook and drain pasta as directed, without salt.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken in oil about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in zucchini, squash, and asparagus.
- Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are crisp tender.
- Stir pasta into chicken mixture.
- Stir in dressing and basil.
- Heat through.
- Sprinkle with cheese and pepper.
Comments : 1 Comment »
Tags: caesar chicken, meals for 2, orzo
Categories : chicken, dressing, main dish, pasta, vegetables
Sorry I have been a little MIA lately — this house business took up a lot of my time and energy last week. I’ve started making more repeat dinners and even doing things like hot dogs and mac and cheese from a box. As much as I love cooking and making fresh dishes, it is nice to have a break every now and again. Plus some of that stuff (herb&butter rice, baked beans from a can, frozen tater tots — yum!) really pulls at my heart and reminds me of some of the stuff I ate as a child.
cookin da orzo
I got back into my groove a bit though, when I bought those new cookbooks. Here’s another recipe from Just the 2 of Us. I liked this dish — it was quick and easy. I’m not sure we really got the taste of Caesar dressing , but it was still tasty. We chunked the chicken instead of keeping it whole because that’s how we roll.
My only issue is that a few of the directions were a little unclear. The dish still came out fine, but I wasn’t sure what had been messed up. Basically, after cooking the chicken and removing from the pan (steps 2 & 3), you add water and broth to cook the orzo (steps 4 – 7). By the time 8 minutes had passed, most of the liquid was absorbed by the pasta. So when I got to steps 10 & 11, there wasn’t any liquid to bring to a boil/simmer. I added a couple more splashes of chicken broth, but it didn’t last very long. Maybe my heat was too high or I shouldn’t have cooked the orzo so long. Who knows. At least it was still good.
Hope you enjoy!
Caesar Chicken with Orzo
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used 1 large breast)
- 1 c. reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. uncooked orzo
- 1/2 bag (1 lb. size) frozen broccoli florets (I used half a lb. of fresh florets and it worked fine)
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 tsp. Caesar dressing
- In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken in oil until brown on both sides.
- Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Add broth and water to hot skillet.
- Heat to boiling.
- Stir in pasta and heat to boiling.
- Cook uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broccoli, bell pepper and dressing.
- Add chicken to pasta mixture and sprinkle with pepper.
- Heat to boiling then reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered about 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and chicken is cooked through.