FINALLY! A homemade macaroni and cheese that I actually like! And I like it a lot. It will definitely be my go-to mac & cheese (m&c) now. I love m&c to be thick and creamy and rich. This recipe delivers.
It also gave the me the opportunity to really learn how to make a roux. My previous experiences have been Rachel Ray versions. And of course everything is done super fast in her recipes so I have always rushed the roux. Patience totally paid off and the roux came out fabulously. I was so excited!
I’ve never baked m&c before either and of course that helped make this dish totally delicious.
Thank you Just the Two of Us.
Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 c. uncooked elbow macaroni (I used corkscrews)
- 1 Tbsp. butter (I ended up using a little over a Tbsp to help the roux along)
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground mustard (I used Dijon since I had it on hand)
- 1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (W sauce)
- 1 c. skim milk
- 3/4 c. shredded cheddar (I used more like 1 cup. I love cheese)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook and drain pasta as directed.
- In saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard, and W sauce.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling over medium-low heat, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce.
- Pour into ungreased baking dish.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.