Sorry I have been a little MIA lately — this house business took up a lot of my time and energy last week. I’ve started making more repeat dinners and even doing things like hot dogs and mac and cheese from a box. As much as I love cooking and making fresh dishes, it is nice to have a break every now and again. Plus some of that stuff (herb&butter rice, baked beans from a can, frozen tater tots — yum!) really pulls at my heart and reminds me of some of the stuff I ate as a child.
I got back into my groove a bit though, when I bought those new cookbooks. Here’s another recipe from Just the 2 of Us. I liked this dish — it was quick and easy. I’m not sure we really got the taste of Caesar dressing , but it was still tasty. We chunked the chicken instead of keeping it whole because that’s how we roll.
My only issue is that a few of the directions were a little unclear. The dish still came out fine, but I wasn’t sure what had been messed up. Basically, after cooking the chicken and removing from the pan (steps 2 & 3), you add water and broth to cook the orzo (steps 4 – 7). By the time 8 minutes had passed, most of the liquid was absorbed by the pasta. So when I got to steps 10 & 11, there wasn’t any liquid to bring to a boil/simmer. I added a couple more splashes of chicken broth, but it didn’t last very long. Maybe my heat was too high or I shouldn’t have cooked the orzo so long. Who knows. At least it was still good.
Hope you enjoy!
Caesar Chicken with Orzo
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used 1 large breast)
- 1 c. reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/2 c. uncooked orzo
- 1/2 bag (1 lb. size) frozen broccoli florets (I used half a lb. of fresh florets and it worked fine)
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 tsp. Caesar dressing
- In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook chicken in oil until brown on both sides.
- Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- Add broth and water to hot skillet.
- Heat to boiling.
- Stir in pasta and heat to boiling.
- Cook uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broccoli, bell pepper and dressing.
- Add chicken to pasta mixture and sprinkle with pepper.
- Heat to boiling then reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered about 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and chicken is cooked through.