When planning a week’s worth of dinners, I try my best to vary the protein we eat each night and I try not to repeat the same protein two days in a row. I am not usually successful. We like chicken. A lot. We like pork, but I still haven’t mastered it so it’s not usually on my menu. We like beef too, just not that much. And I’m not good at large cuts of meat like steaks, so we normally eat ground beef which is not always the greatest thing ever.
Last week I had 2 recipes to cook that involved beef so I had to find chicken recipes to balance it out. Not wanting to repeat too much, I took my time looking for a good recipe. I’ve come to be pretty good at Mexican recipes and wanted to find something involving Mexican flavors and chicken. I just couldn’t find something that struck my fancy but I did think about how easy and delicious the Pulled Chicken BBQ in the slow cooker is. Man I really love that recipe…
I could make pulled/shredded chicken tacos. We had tortillas and sour cream that needed to be used and I just had a hankering for chicken tacos. So I set out to create my own recipe.
This was a first for me and while I based the amounts of the ingredients off that BBQ recipe, this was really just me throwing stuff in a bowl because I thought it was Mexican. It turned out really good and I actually could add more of the Mexican flavor next time. I was worried about making it too hot (I’ve had some bad experiences with Mexican spices in the past hehe). Also, the BBQ recipe calls for fresh onion and garlic, but I was in a hurry to get this started so I used garlic and onion powder. Definitely try it with fresh ingredients though (see recipe). You should also throw in fresh diced peppers for extra flavor. All things I will try next time!
WH was pretty impressed with my creation and I must say it was fun to figure it out myself. So here is my recipe for…
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 c. diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
- 2 Tbsp. salsa verde (you could probably safely use 3 Tbsp. for an extra kick)
- 3/4 tsp. Texas Pete hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 loose Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 clove, minced)
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder (or 1 small onion chopped)
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- salt to taste
- Taco fixings
- Place the chicken thighs in the slow cooker. (If using fresh garlic and onion, arrange those in the bottom of the slow cooker and place chicken on top.)
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients.
- Pour over chicken thighs.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours, until chicken is fork-tender and pulls apart easily.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker.
- With two forks, pull apart the meat into shredded chunks, return to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and leave on the KEEP WARM setting until ready to serve.
- Build your chicken taco!
Adapted from Slow-Cooked Pulled Barbecue Chicken