This Christmas I asked for a lot of cookbooks. I got 2 Barefoot Contessa books and a book called “Incredibly Easy, One Dish”. That’s where I found this wonderful dish.
If you love cornbread, you have to try this recipe. It was delicious. Absolutely delicious. WH ate so fast and so much I couldn’t believe me eyes. He loves cornbread just like I do. As the title implies, this is a one dish meal. I dirtied one skillet and one baking dish, that’s all. Another easy clean up. And there was cornbread! YUM.
Again, I halved the recipe but I made the full package of cornbread. So my version may not look like the intended product, but it was good. I really really really recommend this recipe. It was so tasty. Definitely getting added to the rotation.
Corn Bread Taco Bake
- 3/4 lb. ground beef
- 1 ear corn, cooked and kernels cut off
- 4 oz. tomato sauce
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/4 c. chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 pkg. (8 & 1/2 oz.) corn muffin mix plus ingredients to prepare mix
- 3/4 c. French’s French Fried Onions, divided (I omitted this)
- 1/4 c. shredded Cheddar cheese (I used a Mexican blend)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In large skillet, brown ground beef then drain fat.
- Stir in corn, tomoato sauce, water, bell pepper and taco seasoning.
- Pour mixture into baking dish.
- In small bowl, prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions (stir in 1/3 c. onions).
- Spoon corn muffin batter around edge of beef mixture.
- Bake, uncovered for 20 minutes or until corn bread is done.
- Top corn bread with cheese (and remaining onions).
- Bake uncovered 1 to 3 minutes (or until onions are golden brown).