I’m so sorry I’ve been away! Work has gotten incredibly busy and by the time I’m home, I crash. I’ve been making a lot of repeat dishes because they require minimal thought. But I’m getting my life together and soon there will be another installment of Tour de Food Blogs for our January stop, I promise.
Speaking of repeat dishes, a few months ago I attempted Tex-Mex Chicken and Rice Skillet. I messed it up pretty badly. But I decided to try it again, this time without acting like a spazz. The dish came out really great. WH actually ate the leftovers!
Warning: This dish can get very spicy. I think it’s mostly from the canned salsa verde, but it could also be because in addition to the packaged taco seasoning, I gave the chicken a few shakes of Chipotle seasoning as well. I enjoyed it though, and as long as you tweak your seasoning and use the intended amount of salsa verde*, you’ll be fine.
*The original recipe calls for a 1 & 1/2 cups of salsa verde. Even when I half the recipe I usually pour in an 8 ounce can or about 1 cup. I love it!
Tex-Mex Chicken & Rice Skillet
- vegetable oil
- 1 ears of corn; see substitution below
- 1/2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1/2 c. uncooked instant white rice
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa verde
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- cilantro (optional)
- Add oil to skillet and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Meanwhile, cook corn on the cob according to directions below.
- Cut corn off cob and add to skillet.
- Cook without stirring for 5 minutes or until caramelized on one side.
- Remove corn from skillet and set aside.
- As corn cooks, cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Combine chicken and taco seasoning in a bowl.
- Add chicken to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes or until center of chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add oil to skillet.
- Add rice and stir until well coated with oil.
- Add broth and salsa; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Cover skillet and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 7 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Chop cilantro if desired.
- To serve, spoon chicken over rice mixture in Skillet. Sprinkle with cheese and corn.
- Cover, let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with cliantro if desired.
- If your corn is still in the husk, place each ear of corn (individually) into the microwave for 3 minutes. Shuck.
- If your corn is already shucked, fill a microwave-safe dish with small amount of water. Put ears of corn in the dish and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Instead of using fresh corn, you can substitute a 5.5 oz. can of Mexican-style corn. Drain the corn and pat dry with paper towels before caramelizing.