Yes, another pre-wedding post 🙂
As promised, Part 2 of the Rachel Ray 30-Minute Meal! Mac & 3 Cheeses. Can you say DELISH?
This was the easier of the two recipes for the dinner and WF even requested the recipe so he could make it for himself while I’m at my parents’ getting ready for the wedding. Anytime WF wants to make the recipe himself, I know I’ve done a good job. But are we really surprised? I mean, it’s a pasta dish.
I was planning to use gemelli pasta because I thought we still had some, but I was wrong. So I used rotini which was fine, but I definitely recommend something like gemelli or cavatappi.
I also didn’t enjoy the bread crumbs on top like I normally enjoy bread crumbs. I think I was looking for the creamy, smooth texture of mac and cheese and the bread crumbs just messed with that a bit. WF liked them though.
The recipe calls for fresh thyme, rosemary & parsley. I only used fresh parsley and went dried for the other two. Not a big deal, as far as I could tell.
Mac & 3 Cheeses
Serves 2 or 3
Stuff you need:
- 1/2 lb. pasta
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 c. milk
- 1 c. shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/4 c. shredded Asiago
- 1/4 c. shredded Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 c. Italian bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme (or use dried)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary (or use dried)
- 1/8 c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsely
What to do with that stuff:
- Set oven to broiler setting.
- Put a large pot of water on to boil and cook pasta until slightly undercooked.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and stir in flour.
- Whisk in milk.
- Bring to a bubble.
- Cook to thicken milk, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add cheddar, Asiago, Parmesan, and black pepper.
- Stir to melt cheese.
- Drain pasta and combine with cheese sauce and transfer to a baking dish.
- Place bread crumbs in a bowl, add olive oil, thyme, rosemary, and parsley.
- Stir to combine and top the pasta and cheese.
- Place under broiler to brown bread crumbs.